Top 20 Essential Camping Accessories
Many clients who are new to campervan life ask us what essential camping accessories might they need for their first trip – so here goes!
So when we were deciding what we should stock in our brand new Sussex Campervans shop, we used our own campervan experiences – as well as ideas from our ever-growing family of owners of Sussex Campervans – to put together a wish list of practical items you may need or desire. We’d been asking campervan owners for their tips and tricks as part of the research for our new book, Camper Van Life – and it made us realise that all that shared experience is really valuable to newcomers. So here it is – our checklist of the top 20 essential camping accessories.
Top 20 essential camping accessories
(All available from the Sussex Campervans shop)
- Whistling Kettle (lightweight metal) or Folding Kettle (Silicone)
- Collapsible Washing Up Bowl
- Folding Saucepan (L)
- Folding Saucepan (M)
- 3-Section Frying Pan
- Folding Toaster
- Cutlery set (lightweight, blue or stone handles)
- Cutlery tray
- Crockery Set – Melamine – (Flora 16-piece set or Aegean or Java 12-piece sets)
- Mug Set of 4 – Melamine
- Non-Slip Mat (choose from 5 colours)
- Side Step
- Guvnor Armchair (folding camping chair)
- Collapsible Bucket (Silicone)
- Toilet chemicals – blue for the pan, pink for the flush, dissolving toilet roll pack
- Flexible Filler Tube (to fill water container from sites with less accessible taps)
- Gas Hose Pack (for connecting a portable BBQ to the LPG tank BBQ point)
- Waterproofing Spray
- Silicone Spray Lubricant (to lubricate parts such as the front seat swivel)
- Chocks for wheels
- Travelpod Air Awning (driveaway awning)
- Rubber mallet
- YourLite Bluetooth Speaker and Lantern – rechargeable
- Portable Gas BBQ
- Sweep II lightweight broom
- Camper Van Life, by Daniel and Rebekah Lopez-Ferreiro, paperback book from the Sussex Campervans shop when you visit, or Kindle online.
Plus of course you’ll need your choice of bedding, pillows, washbags, towels, shoes and clothes. Flip-flops are handy for campsite shower blocks, and lightweight quick-drying clothes that you can wash as you go are perfect for long tours in hot countries! Bobbie, who drives her VW Caledonia to southern Europe or beyond every winter, shares her top campervan packing tips in another blog.
I hope this gives you plenty of ideas to get you started. There are other items available in the shop to tempt you – when you visit Sussex Campervans – but these are our top 20 essential camping accessories.
Jon is one of the longest serving members of the team at Sussex Campervans. He has been serving as a sales and relationships manager since 2013 and in that time has consistently helped our clients to get the most out of their campervans. When Jon is not working, he enjoys exploring the Welsh countryside.
Need a question answering about anything to do with campervan equipment? Ask Jon.